Time is an essential element of life. However, we often find it difficult to manage time fruitfully. In order to excel at this, it is important to learn a few time management tips and tricks to successfully achieve your goals.
Importance Of Time Management
Time management refers to organizing and prioritizing your time on the basis of its importance and urgency. It is one’s ability to use time effectively and productively. Spending time consciously will ultimately result in self-improvement. Hence, time management is an essential skill to master. If you are not being able to manage time well, it may be helpful to refer to a few time management tips. It may take some time to get results. But it will help you achieve your goals in the time you set out. There are several benefits of using your time effectively. They include:
- Less stress because you have all your work sorted out
- Greater productivity and efficiency
- Better professional reputation
- Stability in life
- Finding free time
- Getting more satisfaction from life
10 Time Management Tips
Here are some beneficial time management tips that can help you to successfully achieve your goals:
1. Keep your time in check
It is essential to know where you spend your time. So track your time and note down the amount spent on each task. Once you have an idea about where all your time is spent, you will be able to allocate it to the most important and urgent tasks.
2. Plan in advance
One of the best time management tips is planning in advance. It goes a long way to plan your tasks in advance and how you want to spend your time on each task. This is a critical part of time management. You should always plan your tasks a day in advance. When you have a plan set, you will know exactly what needs to be done. This will allow you to be more organized and productive. A 2012 study 1 revealed that planning realistic goals ahead of time is an effective way to manage time.
3. Set correct goals
Setting SMART goals is the key to excel at time management. Using the SMART goal setting method is a great tactic to set your goals correctly. SMART goals are short for Specific, Meaningful, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-based. This goal-setting method will help you to attain all your targeted tasks. A study showed that students who gained lower scores were more likely to have poor time management skills.
4. Prioritize Tasks
One of the major time management tips is prioritizing tasks based on their importance and urgency. According to the Eisenhower Method, tasks must be allocated according to their priority. In order to do this, you need to determine the tasks according to the following:
- Important and urgent: These tasks must be done right away
- Important but not urgent: These tasks need to be decided when it must be done
- Urgent but not important: These tasks must be delegated
- Not urgent and not important: These tasks can be done later
5. Take breaks in between
When you do too many tasks at one go, you may find it difficult to stay focused and motivated. Hence, it is essential to take a break in between tasks and rejuvenate yourself to do the next task efficiently. These can include going for a walk or doing a breathing exercise. A 2019 study 2 found that work breaks positively affected employees’ physical and cognitive performance and well-being.
6. Organize your tasks
One of the most important time management tips would be to organize your tasks. After prioritizing all the tasks, it is essential to organize them and assign the time you want to spend on them accordingly.
7. Eliminate distractions
An essential part of time management is to eliminate distractions and time-wasters. It may be beneficial to take into account whether you waste a lot of time on social media or streaming services. Once you realize it, you will be able to allocate your time better. A 2016 study 3 pointed out that eliminating distractions and focusing on one task at a time can prove to be beneficial to achieve your goals. Procrastination can sometimes be our biggest enemy. This is why we usually engage in tasks that are time wasters. It is essential to conquer your procrastination in order to manage your time efficiently.
One of the most beneficial time management tips is to delegate tasks. According to the Eisenhower Matrix, important but non-urgent tasks can be delegated. As humans, it is only natural that we can’t do everything by ourselves. So it may be beneficial to train someone to do the non-urgent but important tasks for you. This allows you to have more time to focus on bigger projects.
9. Avoid Multitasking
Multitasking does more harm than good. Studies show that multitasking takes 40% more time than if you just focused on one task at a time. Only 2.5% of the entire population can multitask effectively. So it is better to focus on one particular task at a time to achieve your goals efficiently. This will allow you to manage your time fruitfully.
10. Meditate and Exercise
Another tip to excel at time management is to meditate and exercise. It is essential to clear your mind before you start your work. This will enable you to manage your time better and increase your focus. A 2015 study 4 revealed that meditation played an important role in improving attention, cognition, cognition flexibility, and academic performance that ultimately helped to manage time effectively.
Excelling At Time Management
Prioritizing your goals on the basis of their importance and urgency can help you to allocate your time efficiently. While you prioritize your tasks, learning a few tips and tricks of time management can help you to achieve your goals successfully.
- Chase JA, Topp R, Smith CE, Cohen MZ, Fahrenwald N, Zerwic JJ, Benefield LE, Anderson CM, Conn VS. Time management strategies for research productivity. West J Nurs Res. 2013 Feb;35(2):155-76. doi: 10.1177/0193945912451163. Epub 2012 Aug 6. PMID: 22868990.
- Scholz, A., Wendsche, J., Ghadiri, A., Singh, U., Peters, T., & Schneider, S. (2019). Methods in Experimental Work Break Research: A Scoping Review. International journal of environmental research and public health, 16(20), 3844. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16203844
- Schrager, S., & Sadowski, E. (2016). Getting More Done: Strategies to Increase Scholarly Productivity. Journal of graduate medical education, 8(1), 10–13. https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00165.1
- Ching, H. H., Koo, M., Tsai, T. H., & Chen, C. Y. (2015). Effects of a Mindfulness Meditation Course on Learning and Cognitive Performance among University Students in Taiwan. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM, 2015, 254358. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/254358